X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the teamWe’re an early stage team focused on electronic design automation (EDA). To prove our path to the moon we need to demonstrate better ways of designing digital circuits. About the role You will be part of a small, early stage project and willing to roll up your sleeves and get things done. This is a hands-on role that will help implement and exploit new ideas in EDA and an exciting opportunity to build technology from the ground up to fundamentally impact the future of electronic design. You should be
- A scientist who enjoys testing their own assumptions, who has a healthy disregard for authority, and who would be happy to throw out an existing worldview if it fails a test.
- A numerical analyst with a deep appreciation for the intricacies of the mathematics and software development of numerical solvers for partial differential equations. Someone who does not shy away from analyzing numerics and discretization schemes or developing entirely new approaches. Someone who also enjoys the detailed work necessary for parallelization and scaling of high-performance computing workloads.
- A researcher capable of detailed literature review and who picks up on subtle inconsistencies and logical gaps in publications. Someone capable of reproducing an existing approach and understanding when this will not suffice. Someone who gets excited by progress in other fields and is capable of judging whether it makes sense to adopt an approach.
People who thrive in this role are self-driven and motivated, bring passion to everything they do, are comfortable working in highly ambiguous environments where pivoting is normal, are open and curious to seek out and learn different perspectives, can challenge their own thinking, and are excellent and direct communicators and collaborators.
How you will make 10x impact:
Contribute to rapid prototyping and execution of the project. This will include refining the “moonshot” vision as well as setting project direction. Specifically, you will work with others to develop optimizers for circuit routing and placement which include electrostatic and other physical effects. This is a hands-on, coding position with room to grow.
What you should have:
- Experience in numerical analysis, linear solvers, and partial differential equations.
- Experience in algorithmic design and implementation of high-performance codes on CPUs and GPUs.
- At least 5 years experience in professional software development.
- Ability to thrive in a rapidly evolving organization.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, Physics, Electrical Engineering or a related field.
- Experience with distributed systems, e.g. creating and developing HPC- or Cloud-based parallel solvers.
- Experience with the theory of electronic devices and circuits, VLSI, semiconductor manufacturing, or physics simulations.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.