X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
We’re an early stage team focused on electronic design automation (EDA). To prove our path to the moon we need to demonstrate better ways of designing digital circuits.
About the Role:
You will be part of a small, early stage project and willing to roll up your sleeves and get things done. This is a hands-on role that will help implement and exploit new ideas in EDA and an exciting opportunity to build technology from the ground up to fundamentally impact the future of electronic design. You should be
- Skilled at rapid yet rigorous prototyping and software tool building for design automation, including discarding failed experiments and trying again.
- Excited to invent and prototype novel optimization techniques to break VLSI design hierarchies and impact chip design from RTL-level down to transistor-level.
- Interested in being part of a small, highly dynamic team with crazy-big ambitions.
Existing team members are self-driven and motivated, bring passion to their work, are comfortable working in a highly ambiguous environment, are open and curious to seek out and learn new perspectives, can challenge their own thinking, and are excellent and direct communicators and collaborators. We are excited to review resumes from individuals who will thrive in such an environment.
How you will make 10x impact:
Contribute to rapid prototyping and execution of the project. This will include refining the “moonshot” vision as well as setting project direction. Specifically, you will work with others to develop optimization-, modeling- and AI- based approaches to designing circuits that improve power, performance, area, and cost. This is a hands-on, coding position with room to grow.
What you should have:
- Significant experience developing EDA software.
- Experience with collaborative software development and software engineering best practices.
- Experience with optimization techniques such as SAT or MIP solving, simulated annealing, or linear/quadratic programming.
- Demonstrated ability to innovate.
- Desire to revolutionize chip design and ability to thrive in a rapidly evolving organization.
It'd be great if you also had any of these:
- Experience deploying cloud-based software or high-performance computing
- Experience with schematic and layout design at the transistor level
- Experience applying machine learning techniques in EDA
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, Computer Science or related field
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.