X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
We are an early stage X team focused on using causal machine learning to build predictive models that could transform the way many industries make decisions. You will be joining the founding team in a fast-paced, start up environment with a lot of room to grow your role with the team. We are a small team and there is plenty to do for someone interested in building cutting edge technology and building world-class predictive and actionable models.
About the role:
You will be leading the project’s roadmap for the development of ML and causal inference models and support infrastructures and setting direction for the modeling team (including FTE, temporary, vendor, or contractor staff, AI Residents (ie, interns), by drawing on your modeling and product development experience. You will be an active hands-on engineer, leading us both intellectually and by building our models and infrastructure. We are looking for passionate and driven people, who are comfortable moving between creative, big-picture thinking and tactical execution in a fast-paced, fluid environment.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Be a thought partner on the strategy and execution of the project. This will include refining the “moonshot” vision/hypothesis, as well as setting the long, medium, and short term milestones and tactics for the project.
- Be an active engineer and technical lead on the project. You must be willing to get your hands dirty!
- Build easily extensible infrastructure that
- accelerates our inference algorithms and models, and
- scales to large datasets, and accurately captures complex dynamics.
- Build ML models of real-world systems (e.g. economics, agriculture, climate, transportation).
- Drive key decisions on software architecture and technology roadmap:
- balance longevity with rapid prototyping, and
- assess and scope technical feasibility of possible new products.
What you should have:
- Software or ML engineer or scientist with 6+ years of experience with machine learning systems, algorithms or applications such as deep learning, causal inference and/or discovery algorithms and time series analysis.
- Experience in several of the following:
- ML infrastructures:, ML data pipelines, system / model optimization, ML Ops and ML infra (e.g., TensorFlow, Apache Beam, BigQuery).
- Platforms: Parallel computing infrastructures and scaling workloads on cloud resources for model training.
- Modeling: Model design, development and optimizations and dictating data engineering processes.
- Master's degree or PhD in a STEM field such as Statistics, CS, Physics, or Mathematics or equivalent experience.
- An ability to thrive in unstructured work environments with rapidly changing requirements.
It’d be great if you also had some of these:
- Startup / early product development experience.
- Demonstrated personal passion to apply talents towards solving big global problems.
- Experience in technical program management (e.g. Agile or Scrum).
- Experience using and iterating on ML models
- Modeling dynamic, time-dependent systems that span multiple coupled domains
- Using large diverse data sources, with different temporal and spatial resolutions
- To solve real world problems.
- Openness to working across the stack - data pipelines to ML models deployment.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.