X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We are the Everyday Robot Project at X, a moonshot that brings together people with varied skill sets and backgrounds to build a future where robots can be as helpful to people in the physical world as computers now are in the virtual world. We believe that the future of robotics and AI can unfold in a way that has lasting positive impact in our everyday lives and our wider communities. Our mission is to build learning robots that help people everyday and everywhere live better lives. Creating robots that can learn in different ways involves navigating some of the hardest challenges in robotics today. It’s an ambiguous and iterative process, so we’ve worked hard to create a team environment where collaboration and creativity can flourish, and where people always feel comfortable bringing their unique perspectives and expertise to the table.
As a Lidar Sensing Engineer, you will research, develop and design a world-leading sensing platform. You will also work collaboratively with other teams within X to develop a holistic robotics vision, and bring it to life.
- Research, invent and design and characterize a world-leading robotic sensing platform
- Perform sensor design and analysis
- Analyze and trade off sensing solutions given technical and manufacturing considerations
- Tune, calibrate and optimize sensors and sensor processing pipeline
- MS degree in optics, physics, electrical engineering, or related fields, or equivalent practical experience.
- Advanced expertise in one of the following: Optics, electromagnetism, laser physics, laser beam propagation
- Excellent problem solving and analytical disposition
- Experience with optical design (Zemax, CodeV or related SW) or laser beam propagation (FRED or related SW)
- Proficiency in programming (c/c++, python)
- Experience conducting technical/scientific research and/or PhD degree in optics, physics, electrical engineering, or related fields.
- Experience in a product development environment
- Experience with one of the following: Lidar development, Lidar calibration, distance sensing, safety-related sensing
- Excellent project management skills.
About X, the moonshot factory
X creates radical new technologies to solve some of the world’s biggest problems. We develop uncomfortably ambitious, potentially world-changing new ideas such as self-driving cars, balloon-powered Internet and smart contact lenses. We’re a team of makers, entrepreneurs, engineers, designers and scientists with deep technical expertise who love the challenge of the seemingly impossible. We believe that a culture of psychological safety creates the foundation of trust and respect necessary to build moonshots. X was formerly known as Google[x] and is part of Alphabet.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.