X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Due to Covid-19, internships are held remotely through 2021
- Laptops and equipment will be provided
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability.
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD degree
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
- Conduct literature searches to understand details of the protein under investigation
- Understand and communicate details of molecular biology and biochemistry assays
- Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of different assays and assist with design of experiments accordingly
- Organize and process large volumes of experimental data
- Carry out data analysis involving multiple rounds of next-generation sequencing data
- Iterate between ML models and data analysis to arrive at the best approach to filtering and organizing experimental data.
- Work closely with other team members who have complementary domain expertise.
- Examine protein structure using tools like PyMol to understand specific mutations and advise on regions of interest for mutagenesis
- Experience with scientific data analysis and excited about the opportunity to combine with ML modelling
- Experience with the Python data science stack (numpy, pandas, seaborn, etc.)
- MS/PhD in Natural Science, or closely related field (i.e. Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Biophysics, Enzymology), ideally with experimental lab experience in Molecular Biology, Protein Engineering or computational protein modeling.
- Strong communication skills - the ability to communicate effectively at multiple levels including executive leadership, peers, managers, and junior staff
- Excellent planning, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented and able to work independently
- Familiarity and experience working with biological sequence data and ML modelling of experimental scientific data
- Ability to work and thrive on a small team in a startup-like environment e.g. comfortable with ambiguity/shifting priorities
- Team player with humility, a sense of humor, and the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing and fast paced environment
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.