X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
We are a small scrappy team exploring how a mix of new fabrics, robotics and AI/ML might help people with mobility challenges and improve quality of life for hundreds of millions of people. For example, imagine the functionality of exoskeletons in a form-factor closer to clothing. We have a crazy audacious goal of helping some of our parents and grandparents hike the grand canyon in 2022, and discover if this technology could eventually help everyone move further, faster, and without pain. And by an audacious goal…we mean we’ll probably fail, we don’t even know if it’s possible. That’s what you’ve got to help us discover.
The project is in a prototyping phase, rapidly iterating and implementing ideas to figure out what might work. The team is multi-disciplinary, bringing together expertise in machine learning, biomechanics, robotics and soft goods. What unites us is a drive for impact and willingness to look ridiculous. We celebrate spectacular failures.
About the role:
We are looking for a range of exceptional people in a variety of Software, ML and Robotics roles and levels.
You will regularly collaborate with others to solve tough technical challenges, some of which have never been solved before. You should excel at and enjoy contributing high-impact code, and be able to guide other team members.
These are dynamic and unpredictable roles, which require being comfortable with uncertainty and constantly figuring out what to do next. If you like to know exactly what you’ll be working on tomorrow/next quarter, it’s probably not for you. If you flourish in creative chaos and can gently introduce a bit of rigor but not too much to kill the spirit of innovation, if you are motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and want to be part of an inclusive team with diverse mindsets and backgrounds that makes this happen - then this might just be the job for you.
- Define and shape your own role to maximise team velocity!
What you should have: We care more about who you are than what you’ve done.
You should have the potential to be an exceptional team member, and have relevant skills to contribute to an early stage wearable ML-controlled robotics project. If you’re creative, collaborative, committed to our mission and think you can help us, let us know!
If you’re coming from a non-traditional robotics background, please write a short cover letter explaining how you think you could help us.
Some indicators that you might thrive at X:
- You are mission driven. You are obsessed with solving real, large problems that profoundly affect hundreds of millions of people.
- You are audacious, brave and resilient. You shoot for the moon. You work on the hardest things first. You push yourself, the team and the company to take smart risks. You know fear, but you run towards it and don’t let it hold you back. You don’t expect things to succeed on the first try, you design thoughtful experiments and iterate.
- You enjoy engineering on the edge of reasonableness, with insufficient resources; a rag-tag crew of scientists, generalists, operating with unrealistic expectations and a low probability of success. You are biased to action and will “roll up your sleeves” to do whatever needs done for the team to succeed.
- You are unconventional, perhaps even a little weird. You know when boundaries need to be pushed and perspectives shifted.
- You are confident enough to challenge us and humble enough to challenge yourself. You are open to feeling uncomfortable and actively work on your own growth.
- You believe that great teams, not great individuals make breakthroughs. You are self-aware and seek out people who complement your strengths and shortcomings. You make hard decisions. You are a magnet for talent and invest in the growth of your team mates.
- You are a source of joy, inspiration and creativity for your team. Help us win the Great Nerfgun War of 2022. You can put up with the project lead’s lame sense of humour and bad punning.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.