X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
Sandbox@Alphabet is a team of scientists and engineers within Alphabet exploring the intersection of physics and artificial intelligence. We pursue near-term impact through rapid prototyping of quantum-inspired platforms that can be deployed by enterprises to solve real-world business problems.
Sandbox is a unique team. Sandbox engineers, scientists and product managers cross pollinate between a range of fields --- natural sciences, computer science, neuroscience, and mathematics --- to solve big problems from a novel perspective. Our culture encourages thought leadership because no matter what role you have, every member has the ability to do transformational work because of our start-up atmosphere. If you are passionate about working in an agile and collaborative environment and want to take an active role in nurturing Sandbox culture, this role is for you! Our goal is to continue to champion a culture where inclusion, education, service leadership and scientific breakthroughs are key components of our fast growing team.
About the Role:
Sandbox@Alphabet is investigating various applications of quantum sensing technologies, and are looking for a data scientist with a passion for uncovering useful and actionable insights from biological, geophysical, and other types of signals. You will participate in groundbreaking work on a quantum magnetometer designed to detect weak magnetic signals on top of the noise present in a real-world environment.
We are building capabilities for several applications of magnetic signals. Our team has expertise in quantum physics, hardware, and medtech development. We are looking for a curious self-starter who can help unlock the potential of biomagnetic and geophysical sensing with advanced data science and machine learning (ML) techniques.
What You’ll Do
- Understand the project’s challenges, then research and suggest a number of ways in which digital signal processing (DSP) and AI/ML can apply to those challenges
- Rapidly prototype solutions, test, iterate and present them to the team
- Analyze data collected from our real world experiments. Make recommendations on future experimental design.
- Interface with AI experts across Alphabet to explore state-of-the-art AI/ML solutions to our team
What you should have:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- 3 years of software development experience, or 1 year with a relevant advanced degree
- Experience with machine learning systems, algorithms or applications such as: digital signal processing, time-series analysis, deep learning, audio/speech processing, optimization
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages e.g. Python, Java, C/C++, Scala
- Experience with JAX, TensorFlow, or other machine learning frameworks
It would be great if you also had these:
- Experience working with biological electromagnetic signals, e.g., ECG, EEG
- Experience with modeling of geophysical variables and/or localization algorithms
- Ability to tell a story using data with compelling visualizations
- A doer with a startup mindset who enjoys working with a diverse & nimble team. No task is too big or too small!
- Lived abroad and/or with an international background, speaks 2+ languages.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.