X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
We're an early stage team at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
About the role:
You will be the Technical Lead on an early stage project and work cross-functionally across Product Development and Management, Data Science, Business Development and Partner Management teams.
How you will make 10X impact:
- Be an active engineer and technical lead on the project. You must be willing to get your hands dirty!
- Preparing technical and design documents, schematic designs, and prototyping
- Reviewing technical and design documents, software and development plans
- Work with the engineering team across SWE, HWE, Machine Learning, and Manufacturing
- Drive key decisions on hardware and software architecture and technology roadmap: balancing longevity with rapid prototyping; assess and scope technical feasibility of possible new products
- Delivering high quality, stable and scalable technology platform
- Being a team player that is accountable for the deliverables of the team
- Work with external partners to develop hardware and software for our product offerings
What you should have:
- 5+ years of technical leadership experience in software engineering, hardware engineering and infrastructure development
- Technical leadership experience of successfully building and scaling software systems and teams
- Rapid prototyping experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience partnering with other technical teams (e.g., other technical teams across Alphabet)
- Experience as a Technical Lead or Technical Lead Manager working with a team of engineers in a rapid growth environment
- Experience with scalable data pipelines, databases, and SQL
- Working knowledge of:
- embedded systems, including firmware development
- wireless communication protocols, such as Bluetooth
- Machine learning
- Familiarity with:
- full-stack web development
- iOS and Android applications
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience with cloud-based development, especially on Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with sensors and IoT applications, especially protocols like MQTT and Eddystone
- Experience interacting with clients and partners
- Experience working in a fast paced environment
- Willing / able to travel internationally
- Familiarity with Google-internal tools, infrastructure, and processes (e.g., Piper, Borg, Smart Track)
- Familiarity with Google's data products like Spanner and BigQuery
- Experience with API design and development, especially gRPC
- Experience with protocol buffers, especially low-level implementations like nanopb
- Experience with Java, Python, C
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.