X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We are a team working to rapidly decarbonize the electric grid. Our mission is to help create a shared understanding of what is happening on the grid for everyone who is involved in building, managing and using it.
As a software engineer, you will work with a cross-discipline team to build sophisticated, production software systems to model and analyze real world electrical infrastructure at large scale. You will lead the design and implementation of pipelines that analyze very large datasets using statistics, machine learning, graph algorithms, physical simulation, and other techniques. You will work with passionate and talented people to creatively solve problems from early prototyping to scaling of production systems. You will work closely with other software engineers, machine learning experts, domain experts, and product managers to plan, coordinate, and integrate your work.
How you will make 10X Impact:
- Drive the technologies and product development for the energy domain
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams of engineers, product managers, partners, and domain experts
- Provide direction and focus in areas of high ambiguity
- Design and implement robust, automated, production-level software using horizontally scalable components
What you should have:
- Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science, or equivalent practical experience
- 5 years of experience building large, complex software systems and applications
- 5 years of experience with: C++, Golang, Java, or equivalent language
- Familiarity with graph data structures and algorithms
- Experience writing software to model and analyze large data sets, especially for purposes of training machine learning systems.
- Proficiency in first principles of electrical engineering physics and willingness to learn advanced power systems concepts.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or similar field
- Background in the renewable energy industry
- Experience with modeling and/or simulating power systems
- Experience building machine learning systems and integrating them into products
- Experience designing customer-facing APIs
- Experience with the following technologies: Protocol Buffers, Apache Beam, Cloud Dataflow, Spanner, Simulation tools like Matlab Simulink
- Experience collaborating on objectives shared between external partners and internal teams
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.