X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
Tidal is a team at X working on a moonshot to protect the ocean and preserve its ability to support life and help feed humanity, sustainably. Our initial area of focus is on developing hardware and software technologies that bring greater visibility and understanding of what’s happening under the water for the fast growing Blue Food sector. Learn more about Project Tidal.
About the role
As an optical engineer on Tidal you will work closely with multiple engineering teams across HW and SW to develop and test key optical components of our product which operate underwater. The role will involve detailed simulation, hands on design and testing, and working closely with specialized suppliers. You will understand the camera system from the sensor and optics level to how those couple with our computer vision algorithms and product requirements.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Design, characterize, and integrate new optical components (lenses, optical filters, illuminators) into optical sensing and imaging systems.
- Devise test and validation plans of the optical components and define engineering performance specifications for these components.
- Drive optical component suppliers to co-develop high quality optical components through the entire product development lifecycle from proto to mass production.
- Characterize performance of imaging systems in relation to product requirements.
- Travel to vendor facilities as required.
- Lab testing and metrology setup.
What you should have:
- Master's degree in Physics, Optical Engineering, Mechanical Engineer, or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in optical design tools such as ZEMAX, CODE V, FRED, LightTool, or equivalent
- Direct optical laboratory experience
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Expertise in lens design with Zemax/ CODEV/ LightTools, optical testing, and validation.
- Demonstrated understanding of imaging systems and opto-mechanical system assembly and packaging, tolerance analysis, stray light analysis.
- Experience in optical characterization methodology and instrumentation.
- Ability to perform comprehensive optical system performance characterization and failure analysis.
- Experience in optical sensing systems for depth measurement.
- Excellent project & vendor management and leadership skills.
- Experience in Matlab or Python or equivalent for data analysis.
- Experience designing optical systems for computer vision & machine learning applications.
- Experience in a scrappy and fast moving environment.
- Experience in adjacent engineering disciplines like mechanical, electrical, or software engineering.
- Experience with underwater camera systems.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.