X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
We are an early stage X team focused on using causal machine learning to build predictive models that could transform the way many industries make decisions. You will be joining the founding team in a fast-paced, start up environment with a lot of room to grow your role with the team. We are a small team and there is plenty to do for someone interested in building cutting edge technology and building world-class predictive models.
About the role:
You will be leading the project’s tech roadmap and setting direction for the ML team (including FTE, temporary, vendor, or contractor staff, AI Residents (ie, interns) , by drawing on your early product development experience. You will be an active hands-on engineer on the project, building our ML infrastructure to accelerate us. We are looking for passionate and driven people, who are comfortable moving between creative, big-picture thinking and tactical execution in a fast-paced, fluid environment.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Be a thought partner on the strategy and execution on the project. This will include refining the “moonshot” vision/hypothesis, as well as setting the long, medium, and short term milestones and tactics for the project.
- Be an active engineer and technical lead on the project. You must be willing to get your hands dirty!
- Build easily extensible infrastructure that accelerates the existing algorithm, solutions and models.
- Drive key decisions on software architecture and technology roadmap: balancing longevity with rapid prototyping; assess and scope technical feasibility of possible new products.
What you should have:
- Software engineer with 10+ years of experience with machine learning systems, algorithms or applications such as deep learning and time series analysis.
- Startup / early product development experience.
- Experience with TensorFlow, Apache Beam, ML data pipeline, system / model optimization, ML Ops and ML infra.
- Master's degree or PhD in a STEM field such as CS, Physics, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, or Mathematics/Statistics.
- Experience iterating on existing ML models and dictating data engineering processes.
- An ability to thrive in unstructured work environments with rapidly changing requirements.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Demonstrated personal passion to apply talents towards solving big global problems.
- Experience in technical program management (e.g. Agile or Scrum).
- Experience with causal discovery and / or causal inference.
- Experience using ML models to solve real world problems, building models by using large diverse data sources, with different temporal and spatial resolutions.
- Model coupling / knowledge representation, dynamic modeling.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with using ML on time series data of dynamic systems.
- Openness to working across the stack - data pipelines to ML models deployment.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.