X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
In addition to projects that have been publicly announced (x.company), we have an exciting, confidential project pipeline that requires strong X Project Controller support. You will be helping to develop these initiatives into potential real world projects from day one.
The X Projects Controller role is an exciting position, demanding excellent technical & operational accounting, analytical, business partnering, thought leadership skills and a proven ability to work in cross-functional teams. You will oversee all Controllership aspects for the X Projects that you support . You are enthusiastic and a self-starter, wanting to design new experiments and enhance existing controllership processes that support X’s portfolio.
About the Role:
- Serve as the primary accounting & controls business partner for select X projects - your partners are X project teams and Alphabet Finance, working together to meet the project goals
- Own monthly and quarterly close reporting for your projects, feeding into the overall X close and quarterly certification process
- Lead a variety of X factory wide accounting initiatives
- Assist in maintaining effective internal control environment and compliance programs to ensure accuracy of X’s financials
- Ownership of all Controllership aspects for your projects: accounting and accuracy of the numbers, knowledge of the industry, supporting project graduation, operationalizing deals and pilots to support project milestones
- Collaborate across Alphabet Accounting, Tax, Legal and Treasury teams
- Ensure key decision-makers at X and ABC have the right information at the right time to make the best decisions for your projects
- Drive accounting, controls and reporting efficiency improvements/automation opportunities
- Lead strategic finance projects and reporting for X’s leadership team: understand the financial implications of deals/decisions
- Open to graduating with an X project that you support
What you should have:
- 6+ years experience in an Accounting/Controllership role (experience at some combination of accounting firm, public company, or start-up)
- Technical and operational accounting management, analytical and quantitative skills
- Proven track record leading financial close processes, governance and thought leadership
- Demonstrated experience in building accounting & compliance processes
- Experience working with SAP
It would be great if you also had these:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Comfortable partnering across XFN teams in a fast-paced, quickly evolving work environment
- CPA or CA and strong working knowledge of US GAAP
- Database experience including proficiency in SQL
- Experience with domestic and international accounting
- Strong attention to detail, project management, and organizational skills
- Proven ability to influence across the company and to interact at all levels
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.