X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We are a team working to rapidly decarbonize the electric grid. Our mission is to help create a shared understanding of what is happening on the grid for everyone who is involved in building, managing and using it.
As an applied ML and data pipelines software engineer, you will own end-to-end development of breakthrough technologies that rely heavily on machine learning. You will work with amazing and talented people, who work on highly creative and ambitious efforts. You will work closely with other software engineers, machine learning experts, domain experts, and product managers to plan, coordinate, and integrate your work.
How you will make 10X Impact:
- Explore and de-risk novel technologies to extract data from unlikely sources
- Lead the design and implementation of ML training and inference frameworks
- Design and implement robust, automated, production-level software using horizontally scalable components
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams of engineers, product managers, and domain experts
- Provide direction and focus in areas of high ambiguity
- Mentoring junior team members
What you should have:
- Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science, or equivalent practical experience
- 5 years of experience with: C++, Golang, Java, or equivalent language
- 2 years of experience with developing and/or deploying ML models
- Experience with building data pipelines (e.g. Beam, Dataflow, Flink, Hadoop, Spark)
- Consistent track record of delivering high quality solutions to large, complex software problems
- Prior experience with setting the technical direction for small groups of engineers
It’d be great if you had these:
- Experience working with one or more of: image processing, time-series data, geospatial data, graph data
- Background in ML modeling in TensorFlow
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.