X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About The Team:
Sandbox@Alphabet is a team of scientists and engineers within Alphabet exploring the intersection of physics and artificial intelligence with projects meant to facilitate scientific breakthroughs. They pursue near-term impact through rapid prototyping of quantum-inspired platforms that can be deployed by enterprises to solve real-world business problems. Sandbox aims to fill the gap between today’s classical computing and the future commercialization of full-scale, fault tolerant quantum computers. Sandbox’s technology is largely software based and does not rely on quantum hardware to be deployed.
Sandbox has a unique team. Sandbox engineers, scientists and product managers cross pollinate between a range of fields --natural sciences, computer science, neuroscience, and mathematics--to solve big problems from a novel perspective. Our culture encourages thought leadership because no matter what role you have --- every member has the ability to do transformational work because of our start-up atmosphere. If you are passionate about working in an agile and collaborative environment and want to take an active role in nurturing Sandbox culture, this role is for you! Our goal is to continue to champion a culture where inclusion, education, service leadership and scientific breakthroughs are key components of our fast growing team.
About The Role:
The Sandbox@Alphabet team is looking for a software engineer to help functionalize the next generation of cryptographic systems. A successful candidate will be comfortable with user space Linux development, network engineering, cryptographic algorithms and secure protocols. ML experience will be considered a plus. They will be part of a diverse team consisting of cryptographers, mathematicians, ML experts, and physicists, where they will play a key role in efficient and effective enablement of the technologies being developed.
- Use open source and custom tools to enable and validate novel cryptographic systems
- Build prototypes to evaluate feasibility
- Provide guidance on software development scope, capacity, prioritization and best practices
- Perform network and Linux host profiling, identify potential performance tradeoffs
- Competency with C/C++ on Linux hosts
- Understanding of network infrastructure fundamentals and secure communication protocols such as OpenSSL, VPN, TLS, IPSec (strongSwan) or WireGuard
- Experience doing basic Linux host and network performance analysis and debugging
- Ability to work in a small team / rapid prototyping environment and deal with uncertainty and fluidity
- US citizenship
- Familiarity with Post-Quantum Cryptography
- Experience with Rust or Golang
- Competence with data analysis / ML
- Core knowledge and experience modifying / extending network cryptographic systems (e.g. OpenSSL, OpenVPN, strongSwan, WireGuard)
- Ability to port Linux network applications to Android with native build
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.