X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
Tidal is a team at X working on a moonshot to protect the ocean and preserve its ability to support life and help feed humanity, sustainably. Our initial area of focus is on developing hardware and software technologies that bring greater visibility and understanding of what’s happening under the water for the fast growing Blue Food sector. Learn more about Project Tidal.
About the role
As a pre-sales engineer for Tidal you'll collaborate with our Partnerships team by acting as technical experts in customer presentations. You'll determine the technical requirements to meet our client goals and act as liaison between the organization’s business development and engineering groups. You'll also coordinate the transition between pre-sales specifications and implementation engineering once contracts have been awarded.
The role will require you to think strategically while also executing, using data and business goals to guide your work, be comfortable challenging convention, and in some cases reinvent how work is done. You are scrappy, resourceful, creative and driven and your ability to deal with ambiguity sets you apart from your peer group. You have demonstrable experience of working with customers and can quickly get to the root of their business challenges.
- Develop a strong working relationship with the customer’s technical staff and be able to gain their trust through deep technical knowledge and subject matter expertise.
- Manage and lead the customer throughout the evaluation process and ensure each agreement's technical close.
- Technical lead on customer proof of concepts and a very hands-on approach to get things working.
- Work closely with the Account Executive or Partnership Lead to align the technical requirements and the solution design with the customers’ business drivers, and demonstrate unique value.
- Deliver product presentations and demonstrations tailored to customer requirements and tuned to suit the level and nature of each audience.
- Able to travel and can professionally adapt to different cultures quickly and easily.
- Develop proofs of concept with a clear plan to take each prospect successfully through the evaluation process and turn them into a happy customer. Coordinate and deliver RFP/I/Q responses and technical architecture solutions
- 6+ years of pre-sales experience in tech companies or startups with enterprise customers
- BA/BS degree in a technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with hardware, computer vision, IOT or robotics products.
- Data science experience with real world applications
- Development experience with *Java/Python*, and a demonstrated background working with other programming languages.
- Experience building and delivering proofs of concept independently and effectively and a hands-on, practical approach to getting things working
- Deep experience working and partnering with internal engineering teams
- Ability to lead discussions shaping the scale, scope and timeline requirements for technology deployment.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally.
- Effective (written and verbal) communication and technical skills, with the ability to connect with, and to establish trust and credibility with, prospective customers. Ability to influence others
- Experience with or related to ocean science and technology is not required but would be beneficial
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.