X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
What makes this job unique:
Sandbox@Alphabet is a team of scientists and engineers within Alphabet exploring the intersection of physics and artificial intelligence with projects meant to facilitate scientific breakthroughs. They pursue near-term impact through rapid prototyping of quantum-inspired platforms that can be deployed by enterprises to solve real-world business problems. Sandbox aims to fill the gap between today’s classical computing and the future commercialization of full-scale, fault tolerant quantum computers. Sandbox’s technology is largely software based and does not rely on quantum hardware to be deployed.
Sandbox has a unique team. Sandbox engineers, scientists and product managers cross pollinate between a range of fields --natural sciences, computer science, neuroscience, and mathematics--to solve big problems from a novel perspective. Our culture encourages thought leadership because no matter what role you have --- every member has the ability to do transformational work because of our start-up atmosphere. If you are passionate about working in an agile and collaborative environment and want to take an active role in nurturing Sandbox culture, this role is for you! Our goal is to continue to champion a culture where inclusion, education, service leadership and scientific breakthroughs are key components of our fast growing team.
About the Role:
Our confidential Sandbox@Alphabet team is looking for a Head of People and Operations who will be responsible for managing organizational development and people-related strategy and execution. This person will partner with the team and project leaders to create a comprehensive people plan to essentially build a people operations org from the ground up. This role will be a blend of execution and strategy in order to solve complex organizational challenges in a growing team that is defining its cultural definition. You’ll be an integral part of the leadership team: a thought leader of people and organizational topics who understands every aspect of the group.
You’ll partner with a cross-functional group of subject matter experts to design and execute the strategy for how we hire, onboard, develop, motivate, retain and organize members of our team. In our hands-on culture, you’ll have the opportunity to execute and get things done, rolling out new programs such as workforce planning, compensation, performance management, change management, talent development, and DEI advocacy.
This role requires working collaboratively, strong communication skills, a heightened attention to detail, superb organization, and collaboration with a wide variety of stakeholders.The ideal candidate is someone who is experienced with change management and is comfortable operating in an organization that moves quickly. We are a dynamic organization that likes to run experiments so are looking for a colleague who is excited about trying new things and offering a creative yet efficient approach to people programs. This will require you to think big, use data to guide your work, be comfortable challenging convention, and in some cases reinvent how work is done. You are scrappy and resourceful, creative and driven -- and excited to share in the magic of working at Sandbox.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Offer thought leadership regarding organizational and people-related strategy and execution. Provide insightful data to guide decision making and provide proactive solutions.
- Build and lead a team that owns end-to-end HR programs and execution for assignments of all types in partnership with; X and Alphabet People Ops, Corp development, Finance, and Leadership teams.
- Partner closely with the Sandbox Director, Head of Strategy and Business, and Technical Lead to define success metrics to guide organizational decisions and priorities.
- Apply a sharp, creative approach to solve complex problems and get to the root cause of any issue with the aimt to identify new ways in building a robust infrastructure beyond people and organizational solutions.
- Provide expertise in the following areas: employee relations, performance management, coaching, international expansion, benefits & compensation, diversity & inclusion, learning & development, compliance & legal, and strategic development.
- Develop an international people operation strategy for Sandbox to ensure access to the best global talent.
- Be a ‘People’s Champion’, promote and demonstrate what our culture means in practice. We firmly believe that diverse perspectives make us a better and stronger business.That also means making your voice heard when necessary and calling out bad behavior. It's about doing the right thing.
- The Head of People and Ops should be able to articulate clearly why our benefits relate to our values, and how our performance process is very true to our culture. Be a partner and trusted advisor to leaders. Coach leadership in building strong connections across the employee base and support the development of the team.
What you should have:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 8 years of HR Business Partner or generalist experience supporting senior clients
It would be great if you also had these:
- MA/MS/MBA degree.
- Experience working as a management consultant, working with external clients.
- Proven ability to work within constraints while challenging the status quo.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to analyze data, understand trends and develop recommendations for action based on the analysis.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and being a part of deeply complex strategy discussions.
- Skilled communicator with a strong ability to build relationships with senior leaders and a complex set of stakeholders to drive organizational change.
- International experience and speaks multiple languages
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.