X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
Tidal is a team at X working on a moonshot to protect the ocean and preserve its ability to support life and help feed humanity, sustainably. Our initial area of focus is on developing hardware and software technologies that bring greater visibility and understanding of what’s happening under the water. Learn more about Project Tidal.
About the role:
Project Tidal is looking for a Software Engineer with a backend system and large volume data processing experience to help optimize our platform, data pipelines, and ML infrastructure.
How you will make 10X Impact
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams of engineers, scientists, and domain experts to translate cutting edge technologies to production software
- Drive the technologies and product development for data ingestion, storage and services all the way from hardware in the field to users
- Rapidly develop prototypes to evaluate feasibility
- Own and build of end to end software systems
What you should have:
- BS/MS in EE, CS, or equivalent practical experience
- Passion for making a positive impact in the environment.
- At least 5 years of experience building large, complex software systems and applications
- Experience architecting end to end systems that scale to millions of end points and process real-time and batch data streams.
- Experience building data pipelines, backend integration, streaming and batch data processing
- Experience leading and mentoring team members, as well as collaborating with peers and leadership to deliver solutions that align with project objectives
- Ability to work in small team / rapid prototyping environment
- Experience working with hybrid deployments
- Devops experience
- Ability to travel frequently (~2 weeks/quarter)
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience with Google services and infrastructure
- Experience with data analytics / ML techniques
- C++/Java fluency
- Experience with hybrid deployments and end to end systems that include hardware/on-device components
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.