X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
Tidal is a team at X working on a moonshot to protect the ocean and preserve its ability to support life and help feed humanity, sustainably. Our initial area of focus is on developing hardware and software technologies that bring greater visibility and understanding of what’s happening under the water. Learn more about Project Tidal.
About the role:
Project Tidal is looking for a perception engineer to help us design, test, build and refine computer vision and algorithmic approaches.
How you will make 10X Impact
- Drive the end-to-end problem solving for the project’s customers. Design novel and breakthrough ML technology to fully solve ambiguous problems around real-world analytics problems.
- Work with data acquisition, ML infrastructure and data serving team to propose solutions for new problems and design systems in a way that can be successfully deployed on a large scale.
- Fast iteration on experiments which can develop state-of-the-art deep neural net models, while also aiming to build a common multimodal neural net that can tackle a broad spectrum of similar problems at scale.
- Interact directly with the customer to get feedback on the perception approaches and deep dive into the domain
What you should have:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- Expertise in Deep Learning/Computer Vision/Object Tracking/Robotic Vision
- Thorough understanding of the full ML pipeline, starting from data collection to model building to experimental framework to data analytics.
- Experience with ML platforms, solutions and infrastructure.
- Able to execute quickly with ever-changing problem set and environment.
- Stellar communication skills, with a desire to work closely with customers
- Strong programming skills in Python, C++, Java or other
- Ability to travel frequently (~3 weeks a quarter)
- Software development experience in C++ and/or Java
- Strong statistics and uncertainty quantification understanding
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.