X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
We are an early stage X team focused on using machine learning, novel sensing, automation, robotics, and chemistry to solve the world’s plastic waste problem . We are a small team and there is plenty to do for someone interested in building cutting edge technology and building world-class predictive models.
About the role:
You will be a hands-on engineer on the project, working alongside and potentially managing a small team of hardware and software engineers. You should bring HW automation with experience in integrating multiple sensors and imaging technologies for large scale data acquisition, and integration with software platforms. Familiarity or experience applying these skills to scientific fields in chemical engineering, materials science, or high-throughput experimentation is a plus. We are looking for passionate and driven people, who are comfortable moving between creative, big-picture thinking and tactical execution in a fast-paced, fluid environment.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Be a thought partner on the strategy and execution on the project. This will include refining the “moonshot” vision/hypothesis, as well as setting the long, medium, and short term milestones and tactics for the project.
- Be an active engineer on the project. You must be willing to get your hands dirty!
- Drive key decisions on hardware architecture, hardware decisions, and overall technology roadmap: balancing longevity with rapid prototyping; assess and scope technical feasibility of possible new products.
What you should have:
- Industry Experience with an MS, or PhD in a STEM field such as Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, BioEngineering, Chemical Engineering, Earth Sciences, or Mathematics/Statistics.
- Integration of HW and SW systems experience and experience with automation, robotics, machine learning systems, algorithms or applications such as: deep learning and computer vision.
- Demonstrated experience delivering a product or service.
- Experienced iterating on existing ML models and dictating data engineering processes.
- An ability to thrive in unstructured work environments with rapidly changing requirements.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience working with related fields such as chemistry, chemical engineering, chemicals, polymers and industrial plastics.
- Experience working with chemical reactions and catalyst explorations.
- Demonstrated personal passion to apply talents towards solving big global problems.
- Startup / early product or platform development experience, and scaling those systems to deployment
- Excellent at prioritization and time management.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with TensorFlow, Google Cloud tools (Cloud Storage, Compute Engine, BigQuery, Dataflow).
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.