X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
WHO WE ARE:
X the moonshot factory is home to a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. Our mission at X is to invent and launch "moonshot" technologies that aim to make the world a radically better place. X was formerly known as Google [x] and is part of Alphabet.
Former projects from the moonshot factory include: Waymo self-driving cars, Verily Life Sciences, Wing delivery drones, and more. Our current portfolio of projects is tackling a wide range of challenges — from sustainable agriculture, to clean energy and ocean health. If your goal is to leave the world a better place than you found it, and are passionate about technology as a means of achieving that, then X is the right place for you.
X will soon be opening its first satellite lab in Tel Aviv. Moonshot Lab - Israel will be home to a small team of local scientists, entrepreneurs and inventors who will be focused on dreaming up and de-risking X’s next generation of moonshots. We define a Moonshot as the intersection of a big problem, a radical solution, and breakthrough technology. This is the first time X has started a new team focused on incubating new moonshots outside of our California headquarters.
Early stage moonshot takers focus on rapidly prototyping and de-risking ideas. As an incubator of moonshots, Xers are laser focused on learning and prototyping. We do not build products. Instead we develop the foundations upon which potentially groundbreaking products and business could be built upon. We’re particularly interested in hiring people who have experience in taking ideas from concept stage to pre-product stage.
We are seeking individuals of varying backgrounds, expertise, and experiences — technical and entrepreneurial — who are motivated to change the world for the better. As a member of the team, you will play a pivotal role in creating and accelerating ideas and projects in their earliest stages. People who thrive in this role are self-driven and motivated, bring passion to everything they do, are comfortable working in highly ambiguous environments where pivoting is normal and understand that flexibility is paramount. You will need to be open to new ideas and ways of thinking and humble about your own; comfortable getting out into the field early in order to learn and iterate; comfortable building a hypothesis, stating and testing your assumptions, identifying what you/we know to be true versus what we believe to be true and to then do the work to validate or test those beliefs and assumptions.
Nothing at X is done alone and being an expert in a specific field is only a starting point. We are looking for people who are open and curious to seek out and learn different perspectives, who can challenge their own thinking and who are excellent communicators and collaborators.
AT X WE BELIEVE IN:
- Iteration - It's in the nature of moonshots to not get things right the first time. We run thoughtful experiments to test and build on our ideas as quickly as possible.
- Dispassionate assessment - We passionately pursue our work with optimism and creativity, while pausing frequently to dispassionately and humbly assess the results of our experiments
- Shifting perspectives - We work together to arrive at “ah-ha!” moments that come from being as weird, brave and creative as we’ve ever been.
- Taking smart risks - No one likes to fail. At X, we embrace it because it helps us make impactful, high-value moonshots.
- Living up to our values - Cheering on those who live what we believe.
How You Will Make 10x Impact:
- Use a combination of curiosity, critical thinking, networking, research, and prototyping to identify, propose and assess potential breakthrough technology-enabled moonshot ideas.
- Roll-up your sleeves as you work to progressively de-risk your Moonshot idea both from a technical and business perspective.
- Continuously bring others along, aligning X, Alphabet, and/or partners to that shared project vision on an ongoing basis.
- Develop and research hypotheses and run multiple experiments, often in parallel, to help narrow down and select the most promising ideas to work on.
- Develop your Moonshot story and Moonshot pitch. Regularly share and refine your vision over time based on feedback from our Pipeline Leadership team.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams and compliance (i.e., Strategy, finance, HR, legal, partnerships) to develop and maintain entrepreneurial and bespoke, yet Alphabet-friendly solutions for your project needs.
- Seek out and manage additional resources and virtual teams to achieve your audacious goals with scrappy yet scalable approaches.
What you should have:
- Completed BA/BS, Masters, and/or PhD or equivalent practical experience.
- 2-5 years experience playing a key role in the successful development and launch of a tech product, in particular deep tech, while working in a startup environment. You are biased to action and will “roll up your sleeves”
- You are both a capable individual contributor and collaborative, team-based player.
- Flexibility to work across different time zones (e.g. California)
- Ability to travel internationally ~10% of the time or as required.
- Thrive in ambiguity and possess the ability to manage your own work.
- Able to effectively communicate both technical and non-technical information to mixed audiences.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.