X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
We are a team working to rapidly decarbonize the electric grid. Our mission is to help create a shared understanding of what is happening on the grid for everyone who is involved in building, managing and using it.
About the role:
An early stage X project is looking for an experienced Software Engineer with power systems transient simulation development experience.
How you will make 10X Impact:
- Drive the technology and product development for real-time simulation of power systems at unprecedented scale using the power of high performance compute infrastructure.
- Work with a team of talented software engineers and power systems engineers to develop innovative techniques to simulate end to end system, transmission and distribution, at electro-magnetic and electro-mechanical transient timescale.
- Own and Build end to end software system, from model to simulation to utilizing modern software engineering best practices for scalability, production-readiness, and robustness.
- Rapidly develop prototypes to evaluate feasibility
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams of engineers, scientists, and domain experts
- Work with collaborators across X and Alphabet (e.g. Brain, Google Accelerated Sciences, etc.) to apply, modify, and develop new ideas, techniques, algorithms, and tools as needed.
What you should have:
- BS/MS in EE, CS, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience building simulation software including system modeling, numerical methods, solver choices, performance optimization, and solution analysis
- 5 years of experience with electrical circuit modeling and control systems modeling for simulating steady state, dynamic behavior, and at least 3 years of experience simulating transient behaviors with distributed energy resources.
- Experience with numerical methods, linear algebra and scientific programming with Python or equivalent programming language
- Ability to work in small team / rapid prototyping environment
- Passion for making a positive impact in energy systems
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience with power system modeling
- Experience with high performance computing
- Experience with machine learning for numerical computation
- Experience with using hardware accelerators (GPU,TPU, FPGAs, etc) for numerical computation.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.