X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Due to Covid-19, internships are held remotely through 2021
- Laptops and equipment will be provided
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability.
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD degree
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
- Lead market sizing, competitive and regulatory analyses, and value chain mapping for projects where markets, competitors, and/or regulations may or may not exist.
- Build economic models in partnership with project leadership and Finance. X projects aim to become profitable businesses at scale, so this matters.
- Engage with the Internship community during the program & having fun!
- Current PhD student in good standing. A background in chemistry, chemical engineering, or materials science related fields is a plus.
- 2+ years of work experience in one or more of the following: software, robotics, manufacturing, management consulting, finance, or venture capital or equivalent.
- Very strong strategy and analytical skills. Ability to gather and analyze large quantities of information, and turn them into insightful business recommendations.
- Good at problem stating and problem solving, and turning ambiguous problem spaces into radical solutions. Must be able to break down problems independently.
- Can-do attitude, willing to learn new tools and content to become an effective thought partner with the project team.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (writing strategy docs, writing and delivering presentations), can with senior external partners with ease.
- Experience with AI & ML.
- Experience working with automation, manufacturing, chemical engineering, or materials science.
- Experience with financial modeling.
- Thrive on ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering to them in a very fast-changing environment.
- Ability to influence without authority, working with technical and cross-functional teams who do not report into this role to get things done.
- Motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and wanting to be part of a team that makes this happen. Excited to go deep and learn about new and experimental technologies
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.