X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We are a team of roboticists, researchers, engineers and entrepreneurs who are passionate about changing the world for the better through the use of robotic solutions. We believe that improving the access and usability of robots can help people and businesses grow in previously unattainable ways. We’re aiming to redefine what robotics can and should be able to do for people, whether it’s at work, at home or in their communities.
We are looking for talented engineers who thrive in a fast-paced, energetic startup team working on challenging and impactful projects. As a Robotics World Representation engineer, you will join an effort to accurately represent an industrial robotics environment in software. This digital representation is our ‘document’ or ‘digital twin’, i.e. the single-source-of-truth for the state of the robots and their environment. You possess strong software development skills and are excited by the central role played by this robotics world representation for the rest of our stack.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Own, develop, and maintain scalable, extensible, and intuitive data structures for industrial robotics environments
- Build interfaces for intuitively representing robots, sensors, static geometry, and moving objects commonly found in a robotics environment
- Build services for concurrently accessing and editing the above-mentioned data structures
- Build geometry processing pipelines to simplify, sanitize, and store geometry at various scales
What you should have:
- Strong software design and coding skills in one or more general purpose programming languages (C++ preferred)
- Experience with scenegraphs or scene representations in robotics, computer graphics, games, or similar applications
- Passion about robots and their potential for manufacturing
- Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent experience
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience with one or more of the following: robot scene representations (SDF, ROS planning scene/MoveIt, etc.), scene representations (Collada, USD, etc.), physics or robotics simulators (Ignition Gazebo, NVidia Omniverse/Isaac Sim, etc.), 3D CAD tools (OnShape, AutoCAD, Maya, 3DS Max, etc.), game engines (Unreal, Unity, etc.)
- Experience building gRPC services for concurrent access of a shared resource
- Sensitivity to performance profiling/optimization to reduce latency in real time systems
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.