X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We are a team of roboticists, researchers, engineers, and entrepreneurs who are passionate about changing the world for the better through the use of robotic solutions. We believe that improving the access and usability of robots can help people and businesses grow in previously unattainable ways. We are aiming to redefine what robotics can and should be able to do by building a software platform for robot-based automation.
We are looking for experienced software engineers with a background in industrial automation, particularly in machine to machine communication and industrial information modeling. The ideal candidate has experience in C++ software development, in communication protocols (e.g. OPC UA) and hardware-software integration.
As an Industrial Communication Software engineer, you will work closely with other software engineers, roboticists, simulation and integration engineers to make robots more versatile and easily integratable with other OPC UA-based systems (“Plug&Play”). You have an opportunity to join a dynamic and fast-growing team, developing innovative, high impact products from scratch that will play a critical role in solving challenging problems in the robotics and automation business.
How You Will Make 10x Impact:
- Pave the way to make new industrial automation systems OPC UA compatible
- Contribute to and help establish the OPC UA standard in industrial automation
- Model manufacturing assets as “Digital Twins”
- Integrate, validate and evaluate experimental hardware-software systems and automation solutions in the lab and the real world
- Actively discuss designs and solutions and review code
- Drive new ideas to make robots more capable and evaluate them building prototypes
What You Should Have:
- Master’s degree or equivalent practical experience in Computer Science or other relevant engineering and scientific disciplines
- Experience in robotics algorithms and system integration
- Experience in C++
- Experience in communication protocols, e.g. OPC UA
It’d Be Great if You also Had These:
- PhD in Robotics, Computer Science, or a similar technical field
- Experience in developing robotics functionality as prototypes or products in one or more of the above mentioned domains
- Experience in software design and development for hardware-software systems using C++
- Semantic modeling of systems
- Good knowledge of real-time and/or cloud based systems
- Experience and broad knowledge in Industry 4.0 software designs, architectures, and implementations
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.