X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
We are a team working to move our electric grid out of the industrial age and into the age of intelligence. Our mission is to help create a shared understanding of what is happening on the grid for everyone who is involved in building, managing and using it.
About the role:
As a backend infrastructure software engineer you will work across the entire platform, helping the team to design & implement scalable, high performance infrastructure. You will work with amazing and talented people, who work on highly creative and ambitious efforts. You will work closely with other software engineers, machine learning experts, domain experts and product managers to plan, coordinate and integrate your work.
How you will make 10X Impact
- Drive the technologies and product development for energy domain data ingestion, storage and services from different sources.
- Rapidly develop prototypes to evaluate feasibility
- Own and build of end to end software system
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams of engineers, scientists, and domain experts
- Work with collaborators across X and Alphabet (e.g. Brain, Google Accelerated Sciences, etc.) to apply, modify, and develop new ideas, techniques, algorithms, and tools as needed.
- Design and implement robust, production-level software using horizontally scalable components to support building enterprise class applications.
What you should have:
- BS/MS in EE, CS, or equivalent practical experience
- At least 3 years of experience building large, complex software systems and applications
- Experience working with large-scale data processing and modeling
- Experience with relational databases, building data pipelines, backend integration, streaming data processing and enterprise/consumer applications
- Experience with the following backend technologies: Golang, Protocol Buffers, gRPC, Spanner, Pub/Sub, monitoring
- Experience architecting end to end systems that scale to millions of end points and process real-time data streams.
- Ability to work in small team / rapid prototyping environment
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience with any of the graph database technologies and RDF
- Experience designing customer-facing APIs
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering in a very fast-changing environment
- Startup/early stage company experience and/or unstructured work environments with rapidly changing requirements and limited oversight
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.