X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
We are a team of computational and experimental scientists dedicated to making fundamental improvements that open up more “engineering-like” tools and applications in biology.
About the role:
- Spearhead new modeling initiatives
- Enhance our modeling abilities by contributing ideas, designing algorithms to implement them, and designing and carrying out experiments to test them in an iterative and collaborative manner.
- Collaborate closely with the engineering team to ensure infrastructure and tools exist to support new modeling initiatives.
What you should have:
- Significant (>5 years) industrial experience building mechanistic models, preferably of more than one type. Differential equations, constraint based models, agent based models, Bayesian inference, etc. What we’re looking for here is someone who is flexible with their methodology.
- Demonstrated ability to match modeling goals with a modeling methodology
- Deep understanding of relevant fields of biology, biochemistry, and physics. Fields the candidate may have worked in include cell biology, microbiology, metabolism, enzymology, reaction kinetics, bioenergetics, epidemiology, scientific ML. This is less about the specific field and more about the skills they used within the field (i.e. a wetlab cell biologist isn’t a fit). Ideally they have worked and modeled in 2+ of these.
- PhD and post-doc in computational modeling
- Significant experiencing programming Python, or possibly other languages/tools that are necessary for conducting work in his/her field of expertise
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.