X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We are a team of roboticists, researchers, engineers and entrepreneurs who are passionate about changing the world for the better through the use of robotic solutions. We believe that improving the access and usability of robots can help people and businesses grow in previously unattainable ways. We’re aiming to redefine what robotics can and should be able to do for people, whether it’s at work, at home or in their communities
X, the moonshot factory is looking for an Automation and Controls Engineer. The ideal candidate has a passion for all things automation and manufacturing related, demonstrated knowledge of industry best practices by bringing automation to life, and the ability to deliver results as part of a dynamic, cross-functional team.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Concept new robotic automation applications and scope the effort and cost to build
- Take ownership of designing and implementing rapid innovative R&D robotic automation workcells (from selecting hardware, electrical design to Robot, PLC and HMI programming).
- Incorporate knowledge of industrial control systems to establish a standard for hardware selection and PLC software.
- Source and Integrate best in-class technology products into automation workcells.
- Multiply capabilities by continuously and actively weighing decisions to build something in-house or working with a system integrator to build a solution.
What you should have:
- 4-year degree in a related Engineering field
- 5-years of work experience in the manufacturing and automation industry
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Exposure to numerous industries that use robotic automation (i.e., electronics, automotive, aerospace, medical)
- Willingness to work in ambiguity, select a direction and drive towards a solution
- Experience selecting components and designing electrical and pneumatic schematics for automation equipment and ability to assemble designed electrical panels
- Experience working with and managing vendors (from writing RFP or a SOW to managing their execution and taking part in system acceptance tests)
- Designed and implemented safety circuitry and safety logic for use in industrial automation
- Professionally used offline programming software (i.e., RoboGUIDE, RobotStudio, Process Simulate)
- Demonstrable experience with: robot programming (i.e., Fanuc, KUKA, UR, ABB), PLC Programming (i.e., AB, Siemens, Beckhoff), Machine Vision, and HMI Development
- Professional work experience with Python or C++ is a plus
- Ability to travel weekly travel to both San Francisco and Mountain View office locations
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.