X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About The Team
The X Legal team works on the most exciting legal issues since our moonshots require creative and proactive guidance. We challenge ourselves to think big and differently in providing solutions and strategies for our clients- at X, the legal team can be audacious too! Our team aims to accelerate X while demonstrating values of respect, wellbeing, creativity, integrity and continued development.
About The Role
As Employment Counsel for X, you will be responsible for a variety of labor and employment legal and litigation matters, providing strategic legal advice to business teams across X. You’ll be part of a legal team that supports a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs in building and launching moonshots across a variety of technologies, and helping prepare different moonshot projects to become independent businesses.
How You Will Make 10X Impact
- Provide advice and pragmatic solutions for a broad range of employment issues, including HR policies and processes, personnel actions, workplace safety, wage and hour legal compliance, dispute resolution, and contingent workforce needs
- Provide legal support for internal investigations concerning potential code of conduct or other violations of internal company policies
- Manage general and employment-related disputes, including supervising outside counsel
- Draft employment-related legal documents
- Work with X’s people operations and recruiting teams, to develop and drive employment legal strategies and processes for X
- Ensure compliance with employment laws and regulations
What You Should Have
- Juris Doctor or equivalent degree
- 4+ years of experience practicing employment law representing management at a law firm and/or in-house
- Admitted to the bar and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law in California
- Working knowledge of federal and California employment laws, such as Title VII, FMLA, ADA, NLRA and equivalents
- Experience providing advice to HR and management on a broad range of employment legal issues, including recruiting, hiring, employee relations, employee classification, leaves of absence, compensation and benefits, and other employment-related matters
- Willingness and ability to work collaboratively with other Legal Team members on a broad range of legal matters
- Experience with managing employment litigation, preferably in-house, and experience handling employment matters before federal and state courts and administrative agencies
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage numerous simultaneous projects under deadline pressure
- Ability to work outside business hours when needed
It’d Be Great If You Also Have These
Direct or indirect (e.g., via a secondment) in-house experience
Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships within the organization's legal department and across business units
In-house experience managing general litigation matters
Desire to find flexible, creative solutions to complex and difficult challenges, and work in a high-ambiguity, high-change environment
Experience handling international employment or immigration law matters
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.