X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
You will join a team of a very early stage team exploring how a mix of new fabrics, robotics and AI/ML might help people with mobility challenges and improve quality of life for hundreds of millions of people. The project will be in a prototyping phase, rapidly iterating and implementing ideas to progressively de-risk the idea from a technical perspective.
The team is multi-disciplinary, bringing together expertise in machine learning, biomechanics, robotics and soft goods. What unites us is a drive for impact and willingness to look ridiculous. We celebrate spectacular failures.
About the role:
In this role, you will design and train ML models to assist human movement in real time. You will regularly collaborate with others to solve hard technical challenges, some of which have never been solved before. You should excel at and enjoy contributing high-impact code, as well as being able to guide other team members.
This is an opportunity to leverage Google’s talent, infrastructure, and reach to create a product that could help billions of people. Given the early stage of this project, there will be significant ambiguity but the opportunity to show considerable impact. This is an extremely dynamic team and requires high cross-functional communication, organization, and planning.
- Implement ML-based controllers on-device with high bandwidth, safety and reliability requirements.
- Automate data ingestion for ML, hashing, model and data configs, logging and dashboarding results / analytics.
- Manage multiple ML model training, both distributed and in ML hardware accelerators (eg., TPUs).
- Build ML infrastructure to scalably support deployment, experimentation / prototyping, and transition to production on-device.
- Understand risks and opportunities in this work and communicate them across the team.
What you should have:
Having as many of these specific qualifications is a plus, but transferable skills/experiences from other adjacent domains may be equally valuable, we care more about who you are than what you’ve done.
- Master's degree or PhD in a STEM field such as CS, Physics, Engineering, or Robotics.
- Software engineer experience and experience with machine learning systems, handling terabytes of training data and applications.
- Experience with building and maintaining pipelines for large-scale ML training, monitoring and serving.
- Experience with robotics.
- Solid, hands-on experience with TensorFlow (including TFLite, embedded / edge TF) and TensorFlow Extended (TFX) .
- Experience iterating on existing ML models and dictating data engineering processes.
- Strong entrepreneurial traits, especially persistence and resourcefulness.
- Empathy, customer focus and a strong passion for impact.
You should be prepared to:
- Be biased to action and will “roll up your sleeves”. Thrive in ambiguity and are able to manage your own work.
- Drive impact, fall in love with problems, not solutions. Fail often, embrace humility.
- Engineer on the edge of reasonableness, with insufficient resources; a rag-tag crew of scientists, generalists, operating with unrealistic expectations and a low probability of success.
- Be a source of joy, inspiration and creativity to the team.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.