X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
We're an early stage team at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
About the role:
As the first Technical Program Manager (TPM) on our project, you will have the opportunity to set up the structure and processes from clean slate. You will work with amazing and talented people, who also happen to be working on highly creative and ambitious efforts. You will work closely with Software Engineers, Machine-Learning experts, domain experts, Product Managers, Partnership Managers and leadership. You will coordinate lots of fast-evolving, moving parts and help integrate them back into the overall vision.
How you will make 10X Impact
- Partner with the tech leads to implement technical roadmap, drive software/hardware milestone tracking, execution, dependency mapping and schedule maintenance.
- Work with leaders, teammates and product managers to create, implement, and/or drive processes that improve execution and communication. Partner with the domain experts to coordinate hardware experiments.
- Drive software analytics/metrics efforts, ensuring we track the right things and that all audiences can quickly comprehend our progress.
- Act as a point of coordination and communication between the project and cross-functional teams, including legal, business, finance, design, to ensure alignment.
- Identify and prioritize risks in ambiguous, complex environments across both internal and external stakeholders
- Coordinate with external partners for technical matters and data acquisition.
What you should have:
- BA/BS degree in Engineering or Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 3-5 years of experience in a project management (or equivalent) role for the development of technology (hardware or software systems) in a cross-functional, cross-organizational context
- Strong track-record of effective technical project management skills: software stack and/or hardware-software systems engineering, project planning, status reporting, timeline estimation, issue tracking, meeting facilitation, process documentation, priorities alignment, and developed communication skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Background in the energy sector, whether demonstrated via job experience, extracurriculars or undergrad field of study
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Thrive on ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering to them in a very fast-changing environment
- Startup/early stage company experience and/or unstructured work environments with rapidly changing requirements and limited oversight
- Familiarity with software platform development, management, and/or service delivery
- Ability to influence without authority, working with technical and cross-functional teams who do not report into this role to get things done
- Motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and wanting to be part of a team that makes this happen
- Coordination experience with Machine Learning labeling teams/vendors.
- Familiarity with geospatial, mapping, imagery, simulation or network analysis products
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.