X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
We are exploring automated design for electromagnetic devices. This capability could enable applications ranging from integrated photonics to metasurfaces, and requires technical developments in ultra-large-scale simulators, novel optimization schemes, and prototyping/fabrication capabilities. This effort is focused on inventing fundamentally new technologies with the ambition of bringing disruptive products to market.
About the Role:
This role seeks a highly-motivated, flexible individual who enjoys working in a small, dynamic interdisciplinary team environment and has a passion for solving challenging problems that can lead to high-impact advances in technology.
- In this role, you will be part of our product team which is responsible for designing and prototyping devices for external partners.
- In this role, you will be the main user of our design framework running massive simulations using our optimization algorithms with the goal of outputting performant and fabricable devices.
- In this role, you will conduct smart experiments to understand the impact of specific parameters on experiment outputs.
- In this role, you will work with large and complex data sets. You will run statistical analyses, consolidate insights and report findings.
How you will make 10x Impact:
- Design devices that target specific performance and fabrication constraints metrics for customers. You will do this by leveraging our team’s infrastructure to launch optimizations runs (similar to machine learning training jobs):
- Develop: Write Python code to improve our design framework and optimization experimentation capabilities (e.g. loss functions, hyperparameter, device definition, …)
- Launch: Define and launch optimization runs exploring the suite of hyperparameters
- Monitor: Keep track of the progress of your experiments, reporting bugs if they fail with the engineering team
- Analyze: Explore the outcome of your experiments, communicate them with the team and apply your insights to the next iteration of experiments.
Partner with the team:
- Partner closely with our hardware team to:
- Understand the suite of devices that are interesting to explore and their characteristics
- Validate the simulated performance of your designs and iterate on them if they don’t meet the verification criteria.
- Partner closely with the optimization and simulation teams (software) to improve our capabilities and prioritize the work that will enable better designs
What you should have:
- Master's degree in physics, or 2+ years of experience in a physics domain. Need to understand the physics around device simulations.
- 2 years of work experience in data analysis related role (ML engineer, data scientist, computation physicist, …)
- 2 years of relevant work experience with designing, building and evaluating statistical / machine learning models using Python
- 2 years of relevant work experience with analyzing large data sets and distributed computing using Python
It would be great if you also had these:
- 2 years of relevant work experience with integrated photonics devices.
- 2 years of relevant experience with TensorFlow, JAX, or other machine learning libraries.
- 2 years of relevant experience with applying ML in an industry setting.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.