X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
ABOUT THE TEAM
We are exploring automated design for electromagnetic devices. This capability could enable applications ranging from integrated photonics to metasurfaces, and requires technical developments in ultra-large-scale simulators, novel optimization schemes, and prototyping/fabrication capabilities. This effort is focused on inventing fundamentally new technologies with the ambition of bringing disruptive products to market.
This internship project seeks highly-motivated, flexible individuals who enjoy working in a small, dynamic interdisciplinary team environment and have a passion for solving challenging problems that can lead to high-impact advances in technology. In this role, you will work closely with our engineering, research and product teams to work on real-world problems.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Due to Covid-19, internships are held remotely through 2021
- Laptops and equipment will be provided
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability.
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD degree
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
- Leverage the team’s infrastructure to develop, launch, monitor, and analyze optimization runs of integrated photonic devices (similar to machine learning training jobs).
- Develop: Write software improving our existing optimization algorithms and loss functions
- Launch: Define and launch large-scale physics simulations and optimization runs on Google infrastructure to explore the suite of hyperparameters
- Monitor: Keep track of the progress of your experiments, reporting bugs if they fail with the engineering team
- Analyze: Explore the outcome of your experiments, communicate them with the team and apply your insights to the next iteration of experiments.
- Currently pursuing a PhD in physics, electrical engineering, mathematics, computer science, or related field.
- Strong Python software development skills software development skills
- Experience with developing optimization and ML algorithms and running experiments in a methodological manner
- Experience with digging into the outcome of experiments such as hyperparameters, analysis and drawing insights for future experiments and algorithm improvements
- Experience with JAX, TensorFlow, PyTorch, or other machine learning libraries.
- Experience applying ML in an industry setting.
- Experience with using commercial or open source computational electromagnetic packages and algorithms
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.