X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
We're an early stage team at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
About the Role:
You will be working across the project portfolio - as a founding engineer / “Machine Learning lead in residence”, partnering with project leads to define project technical and experimentation roadmap and executing on it.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Be an active engineer (player/coach) on 1-2 projects. Start projects from scratch.
- Create and iterate prototypes, drafting technical and design documents as necessary.
- Work cross-functionally to prioritize engineering plans for the projects from concept to scale.
- Staff & manage the team appropriately with the support of leadership, X central teams, and/or external partners.
- Engage with external partners to prioritize and incorporate feedback.
What you should have:
- MS/PhD in Computer Science with 5-7 years of experience in software engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- Strong experience with deep learning in more than one areas (e.g. vision, time series analysis, natural language processing, ...). Must be willing and able to branch out to learn new domains and approaches.
- Experience at rapidly shipping great products on small, dynamic teams.
- Proven team leadership track record - building and managing engineering teams, setting aggressive goals, and leading complex cross functional projects.
- Experience in unstructured work environments with rapidly changing requirements and limited oversight.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
It would be great if you also had these:
- Back-end / full-stack engineering experience.
- Experience working with both hardware and software solutions, working with industrial partners
- Startup experience.
- Sense of humor
We believe every Xer should have a great manager. Whether you are an applicant evaluating a prospective manager, or an applicant to a management role, these are the expectations for our managers:
- [Psychological safety first] We can't build moonshots without a foundation of trust and respect. Create space for team members to be seen, heard, and understood.
- [Continuous development] Take the time to invest in yourself and those around you. Create an environment where team members are empowered to do the same for one another.
- [Build a team with intention] Assemble a diverse team of people who have the substance and stamina to reach the moon.
- [Mission is critical] Why are we here? What are we working towards? Get clear on the answers, and then make sure your team understands where you’re headed and how to get there together.
- [Nurture our culture] Be a role model of X’s values and champion creativity, passion, and play.
- [Be accountable] Everything at X is a team effort, but the buck stops with managers. Celebrate your team’s successes and own the failures. Taking responsibility earns respect.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.