X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
We are the Everyday Robot Project at X, a moonshot that brings together people with varied skill sets and backgrounds to build a future where robots can be as helpful to people in the physical world as computers now are in the virtual world. We believe that the future of robotics and AI can unfold in a way that has lasting positive impact in our everyday lives and our wider communities. Our mission is to build learning robots that help people everyday and everywhere live better lives. Creating robots that can learn in different ways involves navigating some of the hardest challenges in robotics today. It’s an ambiguous and iterative process, so we’ve worked hard to create a team environment where collaboration and creativity can flourish, and where people always feel comfortable bringing their unique perspectives and expertise to the table.
The Everyday Robot Project @ X is looking for a software engineer to work on low-level vision in our perception team. Meet our team and learn more about our moonshot.
- Develop and own a high performing pipeline for processing perceptual sensor data (cameras and lidars).
- Enable the deployment of current and next generation robot perception systems.
- Develop and maintain sensor pipelines to enable efficient on-robot and cloud compute.
- This may include optimizing RGB image processing, stereo/depth computation and lidar processing.
- Work in the constraints of a complete robotics system including cpu, memory and accelerator (gpu, tpu etc) trade-offs.
- Create tools to evaluate novel algorithms.
- Help develop high quality and efficient data-driven sensor algorithms (including stereo and monocular depth).
- Collaborate with hardware, system, mapping and machine learning teams.
- Proven experience writing highly performant and efficient code in C++
- Experience with CUDA or deploying optimized neural networks
- Experience in shipping computer vision systems
- Experience in robotics, machine learning or computational imaging
About X, the moonshot factory
X creates radical new technologies to solve some of the world’s biggest problems. We develop uncomfortably ambitious, potentially world-changing new ideas such as self-driving cars, balloon-powered Internet and smart contact lenses. We’re a team of makers, entrepreneurs, engineers, designers and scientists with deep technical expertise who love the challenge of the seemingly impossible. We believe that a culture of psychological safety creates the foundation of trust and respect necessary to build moonshots. X was formerly known as Google[x] and is part of Alphabet.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.