X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
We believe there are many problems in the world in which robotics could play a significant role in making it easier, faster and safer for people to get things done. We are a robotics team at X that brings together people with varied skill sets, all kinds of backgrounds, and from all over the world. Our team is investigating how machine learning can help us teach robots new skills so that one day they can become useful in our unstructured world. Creating robots that can learn in different ways involves navigating some of the hardest challenges in robotics today. It’s an ambiguous and iterative process, so we’ve worked hard to create a team environment where collaboration and creativity can flourish, and where people always feel comfortable bringing their unique perspectives and expertise to the table.
As a Sensing Engineer, you will research, develop and design a world-leading sensing platform which includes imaging and non-imaging sensors. You will also work collaboratively with other teams within X to develop a holistic robotics vision, and bring it to life.
- Research, invent and design and characterize a world-leading robotic sensing platform
- Perform optical design and analysis (imaging and non-imaging)
- Analyze and trade off sensing solutions given technical and manufacturing considerations
- Tune, calibrate and optimize sensors and sensor processing pipeline
- MS degree in optics, physics, electrical engineering, or related field, or equivalent practical experience
- Advanced expertise in one of the following: Optics, electromagnetism, cameras, sensor design, camera image signal processing
- Excellent problem solving and analytical disposition
- Experience with optical design (zemax, codev or related SW)
- Proficiency in programming (c/c++, python)
- Experience conducting technical/scientific research and/or PhD degree in optics, physics, electrical engineering, or related field.
- Experience in a product development environment
- Experience with one of the following: camera calibration, depth sensing, proximity sensing, illumination design, mechanical/acoustic sensors
- Excellent project management skills.
About X, the moonshot factory
X creates radical new technologies to solve some of the world’s biggest problems. We develop uncomfortably ambitious, potentially world-changing new ideas such as self-driving cars, balloon-powered Internet and smart contact lenses. We’re a team of makers, entrepreneurs, engineers, designers and scientists with deep technical expertise who love the challenge of the seemingly impossible. We believe that a culture of psychological safety creates the foundation of trust and respect necessary to build moonshots. X was formerly known as Google[x] and is part of Alphabet.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.