X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Due to Covid-19, internships are held remotely through 2021
- Laptops and equipment will be provided
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability.
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD degree
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
- Join an early stage investigation at X to focus on one or more of these proposed project areas:
- Place and route high-performance circuits at the standard cell level using commercial EDA tools in an advanced manufacturing technology.
- Develop novel routing-aware transistor placement tools for simple circuits, eg, with SMT/MIP-solvers or gradient-based approaches.
- Investigate Reinforcement Learning algorithms for placement and routing of design-rule-clean standard cells.
- Develop or adapt semiconductor process simulation, TCAD, specifically tools for photolithography, etching and deposition, capturing the most salient aspects of modern technology nodes.
- Learn Moonshot thinking, attending colloquium and tech talks.
- Engage with the Internship community during the program
- Have fun!
- Currently pursuing a PhD in a STEM field such as Physics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or similar.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages, such as Python or C/C++.
- Depending on the responsibility, experience in one of the following:
- Standard cells and VLSI Design with commercial EDA tools
- Mathematical optimization
- Reinforcement Learning
- High-Performance Computing
- Demonstration of relevant skills in scientific journal publications, conference submissions, open source projects or similar.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.