X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We are the Everyday Robot Project at X, a moonshot that brings together people with varied skill sets and backgrounds to build a future where robots can be as helpful to people in the physical world as computers now are in the virtual world. We believe that the future of robotics and AI can unfold in a way that has lasting positive impact in our everyday lives and our wider communities. Our mission is to build learning robots that help people everyday and everywhere live better lives. Creating robots that can learn in different ways involves navigating some of the hardest challenges in robotics today. It’s an ambiguous and iterative process, so we’ve worked hard to create a team environment where collaboration and creativity can flourish, and where people always feel comfortable bringing their unique perspectives and expertise to the table.
The Everyday Robot Project @ X is looking for a new Software Technical Program Manager. Meet our team and learn more about our moonshot!
As a Software Technical Program Manager (TPM) , you will have the opportunity to work with some amazing and talented people, who are also working on highly creative and ambitious efforts. You’ll keep this innovative team firing on all cylinders and pointed in the right direction. You will work closely with Software Engineers, Roboticists, Machine Learning experts, Product Managers, TPMs, and leadership. You will coordinate lots of fast-evolving, moving parts and help integrate them back into the overall vision.
- Manage and drive software milestone tracking and implementation, dependency mapping and schedule maintenance.
- Drive weekly software releases, bug burndown, triaging, prioritizing, and deconflicting necessary work to better enable longer-arc work completion in the midst of shorter-term priorities.
- Drive software analytics efforts, ensuring we track the right things so that all audiences can quickly comprehend our progress.
- Work with technical leads, program manager teammates, and product managers to create, implement, and drive processes that improve execution and communication. Partner with hardware TPMs to coordinate bring-up of new hardware (with component owners across software teams), and develop common tools and shared infrastructure.
- Work with software team managers and hardware counterparts to plan and implement tech roadmaps.
- Demonstrated industry experience executing technical programs in a highly cross functional environment, with a focus on software aspects.
- Experience shipping highly complex consumer electronics or new technology.
- Comfortable working on early-stage projects in an environment with ambiguity and change.
- Team player and creative thinker.
- Experience developing and commercializing complex robotic applications.
- Consistent track-record of effective technical project management skills: software stack and/or hw-sw systems engineering, project planning, status reporting, timeline estimation, issue tracking, meeting facilitation, process documentation, priorities alignment, and superb communication skills.
About X, the moonshot factory
X creates radical new technologies to solve some of the world’s biggest problems. We develop uncomfortably ambitious, potentially world-changing new ideas such as self-driving cars, balloon-powered Internet and smart contact lenses. We’re a team of makers, entrepreneurs, engineers, designers and scientists with deep technical expertise who love the challenge of the seemingly impossible. X was formerly known as Google[x] and is part of Alphabet.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.