X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the Role:
This is not a conventional PR/comms role. You will be working with early stage X projects, helping them articulate their moonshot narrative and shape their messaging. You’ll also work with later stage projects on major launches and announcements. Because these projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people, their path into the real world is unlikely to be smooth or straightforward, so your job is to win hearts and minds of press, opinion formers, governments and potential partners. You’ll also be a key member of the X Launchpad team — a small team of writers, designers, filmmakers, and strategists who help make moonshots possible and convince more individuals and organizations to work on radically creative solutions to the world's largest problems.
Teams building “moonshot” technologies need help communicating what they’re building and why, particularly as their new inventions move from our secret lab into the outside world. As a member of the communications team supporting a variety of X projects, you’ll work cross-functionally to advise teams on how their work is likely to be received publicly; develop messaging and narratives to explain new technologies and the big problems they’re trying to solve; and devise strategies for engaging with journalists and other thought leaders. You’ll also help explain X’s mission and use your storytelling skills to show off the eclectic dreamers and wacky, weird ideas that power the moonshot factory.
We're looking for great communicators who can understand complex issues and explain them in person and also via well written, simple blog posts, FAQs, video scripts and more. You’ll devise communications materials and campaigns based on understanding of journalists' interests; engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers; develop print and web-based material supporting these campaigns; and counter misinformation that might interfere with our business and ability to bring new technologies into the world.
How you will make 10x Impact:
- Develop written materials, such as blog posts, FAQs, talking points, and more to effectively communicate about X as a moonshot factory and about individual moonshot projects
- Partner with our content, marketing and public policy teams to create memorable moments and campaigns that promote the projects
- Identify and coordinate press opportunities
- Develop strong relationships with journalists to pitch stories and communicate complex technology in simple terms
- Advise general managers and engineers of individual X projects on various communications-related topics
- Train and advise spokespersons for media interviews, press conferences, and industry presentations
What you should have:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- Media relations experience successfully placing major stories in prominent global publications
- 6 years of relevant work experience, including experience focusing on new technology
It would great if you also had these:
- Startup experience ideal, startup mentality a must; a cross-functional leader with the ability to bring together cross-functional teams in a coordinated way, even in a very fast-moving and ambiguous environment
- Proven communicator - excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Comfort with complicated technology and science topics, and a knack for explaining them simply to a variety of audiences. Constant curiosity and a learning mindset
- Media relations experience a must
- Ability to demonstrate creative thinking across both digital and physical worlds to deliver a rich storytelling experience.
- Ability to think, plan and execute on multiple projects simultaneously in an organized fashion
- Willing to flex between higher level strategy and detailed executional work
- Thrive on ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering them in a very fast-changing environment
- Experience with policy/regulatory communications, and/or experience working on announcements or events outside of the U.S.
- Flexibility, open-mindedness, collaborative approach, and a sense of humor
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.