X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
We are the Everyday Robot Project at X, a moonshot that brings together people with varied skill sets and backgrounds to build a future where robots can be as helpful to people in the physical world as computers now are in the virtual world. We believe that the future of robotics and AI can unfold in a way that has lasting positive impact in our everyday lives and our wider communities. Our mission is to build learning robots that help people everyday and everywhere live better lives. Creating robots that can learn involves navigating some of the hardest challenges in robotics today. It’s an ambiguous and iterative process, so we’ve worked hard to create a team environment where collaboration and creativity can flourish, and where people always feel comfortable bringing their unique perspectives and expertise to the table.
The Everyday Robots Project @ X is looking for a new Systems Engineer. Meet our team and learn more about our moonshot.
As a Systems Engineering lead, you will guide technology development for the new generation everyday robot, while focused on the product vision. You will work directly with teams developing state-of-the-art software and hardware for robotics, and you will have the unique opportunity to accelerate their progress by facilitating systems engineering methods across disciplines at the Everyday Robots project. You will help identify and prioritize performance gaps, and frame the analysis that informs engineering solutions to close them.
- Lead systems engineering working groups that support the next generation robot design
- Work with product and engineering leads to develop requirements and validation plans
- Work with technical program managers to implement systems engineering workflows
- Work with leadership to develop roadmaps for system-wide topics such as safety
- Experience applying systems engineering methods to complex systems that integrate mechanical hardware with electronics, networking, and advanced controls
- Experience working through a product development process
- Demonstrated excellence in cross-functional collaboration and communication
- Team player with a service mindset and excited to navigate uncertainty in new technology development
- Interest in managing a team
- Experience in teams delivering a commercial product
- Experience coordinating multi-disciplinary engineering teams
- Familiarity with machine learning algorithms and tools
ABOUT X, THE MOONSHOT FACTORY
X creates radical new technologies to solve some of the world’s biggest problems. We develop uncomfortably ambitious, potentially world-changing new ideas such as self-driving cars and smart contact lenses. We’re a team of makers, entrepreneurs, engineers, designers and scientists with deep technical expertise who love the challenge of the seemingly impossible. X was formerly known as Google[x] and is part of Alphabet.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.