X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
We're an early stage team focused on climate change at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
About the Role:
The team is hiring a geophysics ML engineer, who will work on defining a set of geophysics machine learning experiments and executing them. In this role, you will be leading the back-end stack for the project - iterating through prototypes, designing longer-term system designs, and building a scalable solution. This position calls for a highly-organized self-starter with a passion for early stage projects and comfort with ambiguity.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Resident geophysicist on the team: define machine learning experiments, perform data review.
- Get hands dirty! Identify and implement a set of prototypes/experiments to aggressively de-risk the projects.
- Set direction for the engineering team implementing the experiments, mentoring the team on geophysics.
- Serve as the geophysics expert in communications with partners.
What you should have:
- Experience building machine learning models on geophysical data (seismic surveys, gravity/mag, well logs, documents, …)
- Self-starter - can make progress independently.
- Python experience.
- People management experience.
- Strong communication skills.
- MS/PhD degree or equivalent practical experience.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Field geophysics experience.
- Ability to think both strategically and tactically about complex initiatives to guide a variety of moving pieces towards execution.
- Ability to influence without authority, working with technical and cross-functional teams who do not report into this role to get things done
- Motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and wanting to be part of a team that makes this happen
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.