X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the Team:
We're an early stage team focused on climate change at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
About the Role:
The team is hiring a technical team lead, who will work on defining and implementing data and machine learning infrastructure for the project. In this role, you will be leading the back-end stack for the project - iterating through prototypes, designing longer-term system designs, and building a scalable solution. This position calls for a highly-organized self-starter with a passion for early stage projects and comfort with ambiguity.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Define system architecture, implementation roadmaps.
- Get hands dirty! Identify and implement a set of prototypes to aggressively de-risk the project building the whole solution: data acquisition, data processing pipelines, and ML modeling.
- Recruit the engineering team and set direction
What you should have:
- Self-starter - can make progress independently.
- Experience building machine learning pipelines in GCP.
- Java/Python experience.
- People management experience.
- Strong communication skills.
- MS degree or equivalent practical experience.
You should also have these:
- Geospatial data processing experience (in particular, earth engine).
- Geophysics experience.
- Experience with IoT / embedded systems.
- Ability to think both strategically and tactically about complex initiatives to guide a variety of moving pieces towards execution.
- Ability to influence without authority, working with technical and cross-functional teams who do not report into this role to get things done.
- Motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and wanting to be part of a team that makes this happen.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.