X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the team:
We are an early stage X team focused on using machine learning, automation, robotics and chemistry to solve the world’s plastic waste problem . We are a small team and there is plenty to do for someone interested in building cutting edge technology and building world-class predictive models.
About the role:
You will be a hands-on engineer on the project, working alongside and potentially managing a small team of hardware and software engineers. You should bring HW automation and high-throughput experimentation expertise, with experience in ML, data science, and analytics to the team. Familiarity or experience applying these skills to scientific fields in biology and/or chemistry will be critically important. We are looking for passionate and driven people, who are comfortable moving between creative, big-picture thinking and tactical execution in a fast-paced, fluid environment.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Be a thought partner on the strategy and execution on the project. This will include refining the “moonshot” vision/hypothesis, as well as setting the long, medium, and short term milestones and tactics for the project.
- Be an active engineer on the project. You must be willing to get your hands dirty!
- Drive key decisions on software architecture, hardware decision, and overall technology roadmap: balancing longevity with rapid prototyping; assess and scope technical feasibility of possible new products.
What you should have:
- MS with Industry Experience, or PhD in a STEM field such as CS, Physics, Chemistry, BioEngineerg, Chemical Engineering, Earth Sciences, or Mathematics/Statistics.
- Integration of HW and SW systems experience and experience with automation, robotics, machine learning systems, algorithms or applications such as: deep learning and computer vision.
- Experience with TensorFlow, Apache Beam/Dataflow, Google Compute Engine.
- Experienced iterating on existing ML models and dictating data engineering processes.
- An ability to thrive in unstructured work environments with rapidly changing requirements.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience working with related fields such as chemistry, chemical engineering, chemicals, polymers and industrial plastics.
- Experience working with chemical reactions and catalyst explorations.
- Demonstrated personal passion to apply talents towards solving big global problems.
- Startup / early product or platform development experience, and scaling those systems to deployment
- Excellent at prioritization and time management.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.