X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Occasional on-site work is required- there will be periodic access to X's lab to complete the hardware side of this project
- Laptops and equipment will be provided
- Duration: May-June 2021 start date; 12-14 weeks on average
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing an Undergraduate or Master’s degree
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
- Collaborating with the X Mineral team to evaluate & integrate novel sensors with our plant buggies
- Assessing and down-selecting multiple sensors based on performance and ease of use
- Working closely with cross-functional engineering teams to integrate sensors into existing robotic systems on tight timelines
- Operating our robotic systems to capture information in agricultural fields
- Modelling data to understand levels of spatial variation and their potential effects on production
- Building repeatable mapping and visualization tools that can be integrated into broader visualization data
- Communicating methods & results to the broader team
- Currently enrolled in an Undergrad or Graduate program in a technical field related to agronomy, agriculture, biology, ecology, chemistry, statistics, robotics, engineering, or similar field
- Completed coursework involving the use and evaluation of environmental sensors or in-field sample collection with lab-based analysis
- Hands-on fabrication experience in mechanical or electrical domains
- Completed coursework in numerical computing, data analysis, machine learning & visualisation (e.g. with R, python)
- Basic experience with materials and fabrication techniques
- Experience with farming and agricultural production / plant breeding
- Applied knowledge of soil sensing techniques
- Experience with a wide off-road or electric vehicle maintenance or mechanics
- Experience with electric vehicles and subsystems: data capture, compute, storage, motor control, remote control, logging, batteries, power management, localization, safety systems
- Comfortable using test equipment (oscilloscopes, logic analyzers...)
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.