X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the Team:
Our team at Mineral, within X, is developing breakthrough technology for the global agriculture industry, with a particular focus on sustainability. We are looking for someone to help us drive the experimentation and transition of developmental hardware into the field by teaming with leadership and cross-functional teams to execute on our vision through a culture that drives both purpose and profit.
About the Role:
You should be familiar with HW design & testing, electrical engineering, and firmware development. This person will help accelerate the trajectory of our moonshot, and is equally comfortable engaging with partners, field operators, and across the internal team. The Lab Operations Manager is expected to understand and sweat the details, but be able to prioritize the most important issues, and work under tight deadlines.
How you will make an impact:
- Coordinate cross-project operations, anticipating and mitigating risks, organizing and managing the deployment and day-to-day maintenance of a fleet of equipment and field operators
- Work with a cross-functional team of hardware / software engineers, research scientists, field operators, and partner managers to execute on project commitments
- Lead configuration and logistics management for HW platforms, to include supply chain operations, inventory management, and international shipping.
- Develop testing and deployment plans for field experiments related to new hardware platforms
- Develop and maintain a set of tools for planning, analysis, and documentation in support of a global field operation, to include contract manufacturer management, fleet testing & optimization, and logistics support
What you should have:
- BA/BS Degree (or equivalent professional experience)
- Engineering background, or 2-3 years experience working cross-functionally with engineers
- 7 - 10 years of relevant experience (e.g. project management, operations / engineering management, lab operations)
- Demonstrated success working in a time sensitive and deadline-oriented environment
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, prioritize, and multi-task in ambiguous environments
It would be great if you also had these:
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication both written and spoken, and results oriented
- Experience iterating early-stage products and working in a fast-paced environment
- Experience leading a team and / or working with external vendors
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, creativity and strategic skills
- Superior presentation skills - both written and verbal
- Experience in working with global and cross-functional internal and external teams
- Understanding of the food production ecosystem, and / or background working in sustainability or agriculture
About X, the moonshot factory
X creates radical new technologies to solve some of the world’s biggest problems. We develop uncomfortably ambitious, potentially world-changing new ideas such as self-driving cars, balloon-powered Internet and smart contact lenses. We’re a team of makers, entrepreneurs, engineers, designers and scientists with deep technical expertise who love the challenge of the seemingly impossible. X was formerly known as Google[x] and is part of Alphabet.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.