X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the Team:
We believe there are many problems in the world in which robotics could play a significant role in making it easier, faster and safer for people to get things done. We are looking for experienced software engineers to join our team to help us build a software platform for industrial robotics and automation.
We are looking for a software engineering lead with a background or interest in functional safety. You should have experience as a C/C++ software engineer, and have experience in the validation of development tools (compilers, build system). Most importantly, you are excited about making robots significantly more capable than they are today while ensuring their safety and reliability.
This role requires leading and managing teams of software engineers, roboticists and vendors, that work on developing advanced tools and application software for safety-critical functions in robotics.
You have an opportunity to join a dynamic and fast-growing team, developing innovative, high impact products from scratch that will play a critical role in building robots that can safely interact with humans and objects and carry out their mission more reliably.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Leading and managing teams of engineers with backgrounds in computer science, robotics, functional safety, and tools development
- Shape the functional safety strategy of the project and building a strong team around this strategy
- Contributing as an active member of the leadership team of a nonpublic robotics project within X
What you should have:
- Demonstrated engineering lead, who can inspire, guide, and drive high performing teams with diverse engineering backgrounds
- Deep and broad technical expertise in development tools, development methods, and safety-critical software systems
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Expertise in the development of safety-critical software, ideally according to IEC 61508, ISO 13849, or related standards
- In-depth knowledge in verification and validation of development tools, ideally google3 tooling, for safety-critical applications
- Application experience in formal software verification methods for safety-critical applications
- Experience in the development of embedded and real-time systems for motion control
- Domain knowledge and software development experience in robotics
- Ability to set and drive the technical strategy while also having the capability to provide detailed technical guidance to the team, enabling them to execute more effectively and deliver products on time and within budget. A sense of urgency in driving execution.
- Ability to recruit and develop top technical talent and to inspire and motivate engineering teams to work together as a cohesive and highly productive unit.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.