X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Due to Covid-19, internships are held remotely through 2021
- Laptops and equipment will be provided
- Duration: May-June 2021 start date; 12-14 weeks on average
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing an Undergraduate or Master’s degree
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
- Analysis of performance for fixed-point wireless optical communications systems that use coherent (e.g., heterodyne, homodyne, intradyne) or intensity modulation and detection techniques.
- Investigation and identification of key system requirements and specifications for integrated photonic communication platforms that employ the aforementioned communication schemes.
- Modeling and simulation of the atmospheric channel for evaluation of coherent communication systems.
- Analysis of field data to validate assumptions and models, as well as extract key insights for system design.
- Currently enrolled in a Graduate program in Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Physics or other similar discipline.
- Experience with one or more scientific computing tools, such as MATLAB, Python, C/C++.
- Experience with implementation and performance analysis of wireless optical telecommunications systems in terms of channel capacity, bit error rate etc.
- Knowledge of parameter estimation and detection in noisy channels.
- Familiarity with integrated photonics platforms and the nominal specifications for various device technologies (e.g., amplifiers, filters, lasers, photodetectors).
- Experience with modeling of atmospheric turbulence for terrestrial horizontal path scenarios.
- Experience with designing, testing, and characterizing coherent optical systems for terrestrial communications.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.