X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
We are the Everyday Robot Project at X, a technology led moonshot that brings together people with varied skill sets and backgrounds to build a future where robots can be as helpful to people in the physical world as computers now are in the virtual world. We believe that the future of robotics and AI can unfold in a way that has lasting positive impact in our everyday lives and our wider communities. Our mission is to build learning robots that help people everyday and everywhere live better lives. Creating robots that can learn in different ways involves navigating some of the hardest challenges in robotics today. It’s an ambiguous and iterative process, so we’ve worked hard to create a team environment where collaboration and creativity can flourish, and where people always feel comfortable bringing their unique perspectives and expertise to the table.
This role requires you to successfully navigate ambiguity and make things happen in an environment where we combine the speed and focus of startup life with the reach and impact of a global company. This will not be like any job you have had anywhere else. If you don’t like mess and chaos this probably isn’t your jam. We are looking for a world-class storyteller - a writing and communications leader - who can:
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders like roboticists, influencers, thought leaders and journalists to tell our team’s story with authenticity, clarity and inspiration via blogs, press stories, speeches etc
- Craft compelling narratives that will help Everyday Robots land in the world and attract amazing team members, partners and allies
- Help build and nurture a community of like-minded technologists, roboticists and advisors inside and outside Alphabet
- Lead our internal communications strategy, galvanizing the team and bringing voice to our unique lore, culture and moonshot
- Lead executive comms strategy for strategic internal and external audiences via written, visual and live speaking engagements
You’re a creative, passionate and compelling storyteller who can bottle up the secret sauce that makes the Everyday Robots team special and share it with the world in creative and strategic ways. You’re innately curious to learn the why so that you can help craft stories that delight and inspire. You bring to life the nuances of what makes our team and our project unique. You can coach and support team members to be better storytellers and communicators.
- Help to craft and share our stories (about the technology we’re building and the journey of our innovation) to both internal and external audiences
- Articulate and help bring to life our team’s aspirations and actions to make a positive social impact on the world
- Dive deep into complex technologies to surface with compelling ideas and stories for a variety of audiences
- Develop and execute media relations strategy and manage PR agency relationships
- Develop and execute conference / speaker strategy
- Partner with the team to customize personal stories for speaking engagements and events
- Manage agency partners to produce excellent creative work. Conduct initial briefing, budgeting, creative ideating, evaluation of ideas, and execution of final production.
- Go-to resource for internal communication needs
- Industry experience in marketing and communications
- Media relations skills and experience, with a history of developing and building media relationships
- Senior copywriting experience, and the ability to write copy that pops
- An optimistic and resilient spirit with a start-up mentality
- Demonstrated ability to navigate and thrive in a fast moving and ambiguous environment
- Startup experience ideal
- Experience operating in complex business environments and navigating multiple stakeholder interests/POVs
- Can successfully flex between higher level strategy and detailed executional work
- Ability to demonstrate creative thinking across both digital and physical worlds to deliver a rich, immersive experience
- Expert storyteller with the ability to shape narratives from ideation to delivery
- Comfort with complicated technology and science topics, a knack for explaining them simply to a variety of audiences, and constant desire to learn and grow
- Experience working with robotics / hardware technology
ABOUT X, THE MOONSHOT FACTORY
X creates radical new technologies to solve some of the world’s biggest problems. We develop uncomfortably ambitious, potentially world-changing new ideas such as self-driving cars, balloon-powered Internet and smart contact lenses. We’re a team of makers, entrepreneurs, engineers, designers and scientists with deep technical expertise who love the challenge of the seemingly impossible. We believe that a culture of psychological safety creates the foundation of trust and respect necessary to build moonshots. X was formerly known as Google[x] and is part of Alphabet.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.