X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the team
Tidal, a fast-paced team within X (formerly Google X) is looking for a Technical PgM to help increase the effectiveness of how our Engineering, Product, and Operations teams work together in preparing our product for commercialization. This role will support the day-to-day progress of our Software development, align Engineering efforts (both Software & Hardware) with product priorities, and drive efficiency. This is an extremely dynamic role and requires high cross-functional communication, organization, and planning. The ideal candidate has a background in programming and has had some exposure to agile methodology. A link to our X blog post on the Tidal project is here.
- B.S. in Engineering or Computer Science
- At least 7+ years of project/program management or product development
- Experience driving a program from R&D to a realized product
- Start-up environment experience
- Excellent communication, organizational, written and analytical skills
- Track record of successful implementation of TPM processes in engineering organizations
- Experience with optical systems and sensors is a bonus
- Total ownership: Takes responsibility and accountability for the key results to be delivered and passion and drive to own the problem in a specific area and run with it including architecture, design, implementation, testing and execution.
- Egoless: Puts team and Tidal needs above own self interests and is customer facing
- Works well across functions: Demonstrable partnership approach and an amiable disposition.
- Bias towards action with exceptional judgement: Takes guidance from the leadership team and key stakeholders, but moves fast, makes sound recommendations and takes decisive action.
- Bias for execution and planning: Outcomes oriented and has demonstrable experience having previously run program management in fast moving software engineering organizations against a ‘high-bar’ plan without burning teams or stakeholder relationships.
- Deals With Ambiguity: In the absence of a clear path, creates the path and defines the resource map and strategy to address.
- Lead overall program management for a fast paced, highly innovative software development team, including workload balancing, leading engineering sprints, structuring meetings, overseeing and tracking workstreams supporting the program goals, and helping to create goals as well as carefully track progress against them
- Work hand-in-hand with our Product Manager to keep software efforts in alignment with customer priorities and organize bugs/feature requests into our product backlog
- Create a decision making forum for regular roadmap review and prioritization of key development tasks
- Proactively identify problems and issues and create programs and processes to solve them
- Guide the team through the learning and changes inherent in early product development, helping set the right expectations internally and externally
- Understand customer priorities and translate into Engineering impact to provide input on timelines and feasibility
- Drive velocity, efficiency, and teamwork
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.