X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the Role:
You will be part of a small, early stage project and willing to roll up your sleeves and get things done while having a high tolerance for ambiguity. This is a hands-on role that will help architect and implement new ideas in Electronic Design Automation (EDA) and, we hope, an exciting opportunity to build technology from the ground up to fundamentally impact the future of electronic design. You should be
- Self directed and comfortable operating and learning independently with minimal oversight--a vigorous auto-didact.
- Excited to experiment with new computational approaches
- Interested in thinking creatively about how AI and warehouse-scale computing can impact chip design, from cells to architecture.
- Open to trying new approaches to EDA, including rapid prototyping and discarding failed experiments
- Interested in being part of a small, scrappy team with big ambitions.
We are looking for someone with vision, who can help lead and grow the project technically and strategically. If you are excited to help us build a moonshot to redefine EDA, we’d love to talk with you.
How you will make 10x impact:
Contribute to strategy and execution of the project. This will include refining the “moonshot” vision/hypothesis, as well as setting the long, medium, and short term milestones and tactics for the project. Specifically, you will work with others to develop modeling- and AI- based approaches to designing key IP that maximizes power, performance, area, and manufacturability.
This is a hands-on, coding position.
What you should have:
- B.S.E.E or a related degree with 5+ years coding / hands-on development of EDA solutions (tools, algorithms, &c) using modern languages / SDE.
- Experience writing and using EDA tools for physical design (PD)
- Experience with digital chip yield, design rules, and DFM
- Demonstrated ability to work and thrive in a startup-like environment.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering or a related field with significant industry experience
- Experience creating or developing novel EDA tools based on new approaches or algorithms
- Experience with numerical and combinatorial optimization
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or internal Google computing resources
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.