X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
ABOUT THE TEAM
We're a small team of engineers and scientists exploring techniques to deduce the molecular composition of arbitrary materials and proposing experimental pathways to commercially viable processes for recovering economic value from materials otherwise discarded as waste.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To attend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Due to Covid-19, internships are held remotely through 2021
- Laptops and equipment will be provided
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability.
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD degree
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
- Design and implementation of reaction modelling techniques with ML
- Exploring how to apply these techniques to specific classes of commercially attractive materials
- Collaborating with the X Project team to applying AI to the project's mission
- Learning Moonshot thinking, attending colloquium and tech talks.
- Engaging with the Internship community during the program
- Having fun!
- Experience with chemical modelling techniques
- Some exposure to modern ML frameworks
- Currently enrolled in an Undergrad, Masters or Phd program in a STEM field such as CS, Physics, Chemistry, Neuroscience or Mathematics/Statistics with a strong interest in machine learning.
- Completed coursework in calculus, linear algebra, and probability, or their equivalent.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages, including but not limited to: Python, Java, C/C++
- Experience with machine learning systems, algorithms or applications such as: deep learning, computer vision, robotics, optimization, on-device learning, nlp, audio/speech recognition, signal processing or time-series analysis.
- Open-source projects that demonstrate relevant skills and/or publications in relevant conferences and journals (e.g. NIPS, ICML, ICLR, CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, ICASSP)
- Tensorflow experience
- Dataflow exposure
- Knowledge of GCP
- Experience with source control software
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.